TRIAL SEEDING METHOD - APPLICABLE TO THE FACTACULAR CUP ONLY
It has been noticed by reviewing comments in previous Factacular Cup tournaments that some dissatisfaction with the seeding method applied has been expressed. Particularly with regard to top seeded players meeting each other in early stages of the competition.
As a review, the seeding method applied has been that used in most sudden death type tournaments, in that once the top sixteen players have been established by the Qualifying Round, then with effect Round One (the seeded round) Player 1 plays Player 16, Player 2 plays Player 15, Player 3 plays Player 14, Player 4 plays Player 13, etc. until all players have been paired up.
Unfortunately, this results quite often, especially when expected players are seeded 1, 2 and 3, in a second round clash between players you would normally expect to see playing off against each other in a final, or at least in a semi-final.
In an effort to alleviate this phenomenon, the Factacular Cup Tournament Organiser (jmaxg) has instructed that I will apply the following rationale......
With effect this tournament, applicable to the Factacular Cup competition only, a trial seeding method will be applied as follows:
- Once the 1st, 2nd and 3rd placements have been ascertained, the points difference between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd will be calculated.
- If the points difference between 1st and 2nd is greater than the points difference between 2nd and 3rd, there will be a "Category One" change to the seeding.
- If the points difference between 2nd and 3rd is greater than the points difference between 1st and 2nd, there will be a "Category Two" change to the seeding.
- A "Category One" change to the seeding means that the third seed will be placed in the middle of the seeding at Position#8 - part of the group relative to the 1st seeded player.
- A "Category Two" change to the seeding means that the third seed will be placed in the middle of the seeding at Position#9 - part of the group relative to the 2nd seeded player.
(the trial method is best reviewed IF you consult the 16 berth result brackets above and plot the positions referred to)
Players and possible future entrants are reminded that this is a trial only. Comments on the method applied are invited from all Factacular members spectating and tournament players participating.
As usual, the Tournament Organiser's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.