Strange Place Names
|Your overall rating on Strange Place Names = |
|Your best rally score on Strange Place Names = 0 facts|
|381 facts:||<< Prev Next >>|
A village built on the site of the second landing by James Cook and the crew of HM Bark Endeavour in May 1770. Population 221 (2001 Census).
Was named for a colonial tavern
The world's first college basketball game occurred in Beaver Falls, PA in 1893.
Was named after railroad man Tom Best
Was named after Indian fighter, W. A. "Bigfoot" Wallace
Is located on the Nanticoke River
Is Colorado's smallest incorporated town
Was named for H. E. Bonesteel, settler
Was named for Billy Bowlegs, Seminole chief
The town developed as a trailer park. In January 2007, residents voted to accept a development company's offer of $510 million for all 43 acres, making many townspeople millionaires
Was named after W. H. Bush, landowner
Located in the northern part of Seward Peninsular
Developed by Disney, with construction beginning in 1994
Annually: Mule Day Parade held here
Neil Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys lives there.
Name derives from an Indian term meaning "place where the white oak grows"
Named for Alfred M. Dickey, settler
Probably named for the two round pegs that anchor oars in a rowing boat
The name derives from disagreement between two post offices about what to call the time
Name derives from a Mi'kmaq term for "piece of land jutting out of water"
Name derives from an Indian term for "red bank"
A hill in the Lake District
The town was originally named "Happy Draw" by cowboys elated to find water there
County seat, was named for Oliver Hazard Perry, naval hero of the war of 1812
Is county seat, is named for John Homer Mattox, settler
Was named for the killing of horses ridden by Maj. General John Sullivan's troops in 1779
Was named by railroad officials for its prime location
According to legend, the community was named for rum so powerful it would kill a devil
Was named for the fortified area of Moscow, Russia
Named after "Laz" Green & "Buddie" Shirley, ranchers
And has a Twatling Road. Which GJ was photoed next to. Marvellous
The longest official place name in Australia. "Where the devil urinates" in the Pitjantjatjara language.
Community was named after Thomas Moonlight, Kansas Secretary of State
Home of Sam's Sanitary Seafood
Was named for its treeless peaks, visible from ships at sea
A mountain in the Urner Alps.
Was named for an early brand
Storeowner August Schendel wanted to call the place "Needmore", because everyone did. But the name was taken, so the city became Needville
Was named for Capt. John North, settler
Named after the local Plain Dealing Plantation
Was named for a natural barrier formed by Catoctin Mountain and the steep walls of the river bank
Community was named for a protection tariff debated in the 1884 presidential campaign
Was named for its location opposite the mouth of Quicksand Creek
Is county seat, was named after General John A. Quitman
Is a County seat, its named for Indian tribe
The worlds first theme park is located there, it was opened in 1946
The community was named for the 16th section of land set aside for schools
The Tuskegee National Forest is 15 minutes away
The community name derives from Indian term for "red oak"
Community was named for James Speed, attorney general under Abraham Lincoln
The town was named for novel written by Alabama author Augusta Evans Wilson, 1835-1909
The name is a derivation of a French term for a dead end, referring to a point on Lac Temiscouata, where canoeists had to carry their canoes across land
Means The place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as landeater, played his flute to his loved one
One tradition says that a meeting to decide on a name, a resident suggested his favourite beverage -- beer. Tea was selected as more acceptable
An industrial town in the Pilbara region. Population 4,260.
Got its name from Children who traded two Eggs for Candy at local store
The community name is derived from Muskagean for "cow home"
Was named for a hill to which the community moved to escape flooding
The community name from derived from Creek Indian term for "wolf"
Was named for Eli Yoder, settler
The little town with the big heart, was named for a coal mining town in Scotland
Facts contributed by:
Susana SÃ nchez