The stars represent the Southern Cross constellation and the "Union Jack" represents the past under British Rule
Originally Auckland was the capital, but in 1876 Wellington became capital as it is more central. It was named after the first Duke of Wellington. Wellington sits on a fault line and is prone to earthquakes, some quite severe. The city is often referred to as Windy Wellington.
113 sq. mi. (free association)
Abel Tasman National Park is New Zealand's smallest national park, but one of the most popular. Coastal tracks are world-famous for their breathtaking beauty.
Mt Cook also known as Aoraki
An up and coming wine region
Mostly small scale producers
Manurewa, South Auckland. Home to over 10,000 plants from around the world, spread over 64 hectares in South Auckland.
Richfields, Maxies. Richfields Dark is real (70% cocoa) dark chocolate hand-crafted in New Zealand.
These limestone caves are a popular tourist attraction with unusual stalactite formations and millions of glow worms.
1878 - Moeraki. Construction of the lighthouse commenced in 1876 but was delayed by bad weather. Just before the light was to be lit a severe storm struck and shook the tower so violently the lamp glass broke. The lamp was replaced and the wooden tower had to be strengthened before the light was lit in 1878. The light was fully automated in 1975.
1866 - Wellington Harbour. The lighthouse was first lit on 17 February, 1866. It is an octagonal cast iron tower, standing 14 feet tall. The tower and lantern were imported from Britain. At the time it was one of only eight lighthouses around the country and was the first inner harbour light. Rrapeseed oil was used until about 1878, then paraffin oil was used. By 1895 a more powerful light was needed. The new & present tower, entering service in 1900, is round & constructed of brick. The old tower was demolished.
1906 - Pencarrow Coastal Road. The site of New Zealand's first lighthouse it marks the eastern entrance to Wellington Harbour. Initially in 1841, two wooden markers were built in but these blew away. A make shift beacon was then built & was tended by George Bennett & his wife Mary. In 1858 the iron tower arrived from England. By the time it was built George Bennett had drowned in a boating accident so his wife Mary became New Zealand's first official lighthouse keeper. The light was first lit 1 January 1859. The light was often shrouded by low fog so a new tower was constructed on the beach in 1906. Both lights burned together until Bearing Head lighthouse was built in 1935 and the original light was decommissioned.
291 km². New Zealand's 3rd largest lake. With a length of 80 kilometres, it is New Zealand's longest lake. It is at an altitude of 310 m, towards the southern end of the Southern Alps.
Main territory of New Zealand
Named for their playing strip. Early New Zealand national rugby uniforms consisted of a black jersey with a silver fern and white knickerbockers. By their 1905 tour New Zealand were wearing all black, except for the silver fern, and their All Black name dates from this time.
Auckland, New Zealand. Major NZ daily
Moved to Wellington, 1841 - 1865