French Upper Volta was a colony of French West Africa established in 1919 from territories that had been part of the colonies of Upper Senegal and Niger and the CÃ´te d'Ivoire. The colony was dissolved in 1932 with parts being administered by the CÃ´te dâ€™Ivoire, French Sudan and Niger. In 1947 the colony was revived as a part of the French Union, with its previous boundaries. In 1958, it was reconstituted as the self-governing Republic of Upper Volta within the French Community, and two years later in 1960 it attained full independence. In 1984, the name was changed to Burkina Faso.